Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Reading Never Stops

Reading is something that everyone, everywhere, needs to know. No matter what language you speak or what profession you choose, you will rely on reading throughout your life. That is why it is important to start now, so that you can be a great reader. But before I go any further I would like to point out that great readers are not always fast readers. Okay, I can remember when I first began reading novels. In kindergarten I was able to read just about anything I could get my hands on. Growing up, my mom read stories to us every night. I loved to listen to stories everyday. Then, when I went off to kindergarten I started to read on my own. In first grade my babysitter, Kelly, would come over every weekend. Because she had to read us a bed time story before she tucked us in, Kelly bought the newest and most popular book at the time Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Soon after she started reading, I could not wait until the weekend for her to finish up the book! I was hooked! In second grade the second Harry Potter Book came out. I read that book, which was fairly large, as a second grader. Still to this day, I read and reread the Harry Potter series. Reading became a hobby, something I looked forward, a part of school, and an escape from problems that seemed to be unfolding in my life. So, when I hear people talking about how they don't like to read I think they are crazy! It isn't about how much you read, it's about what you read. I absolutely love reading. Reading allows people to escape reality. Reading provides room for imagination as well as learning. Although every subject in high school serves it's purpose in the real world, I do not believe there is anything you will learn that is more important than reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment